Thursday, February 7, 2013

OK, I'm new to this social media thing.  When I was in college we wrote programs in fortran, cobal, or machine language, punched holes in punch cards and submitted them tied up with a rubber band for an overnight batch run. So, bear with me as I figure this out.

The main reason I'm even attempting this is because the triathlon team I joined in Arizona, ONE Multisport, strongly encouraged me to do so as a way of sharing experiences, promoting our team, and promoting our generous sponsors.

First, who the _____ am I?  Well, I'm at the leading edge of the baby boomer generation, retired early, and returned to triathlons after a 13 year absence.  Found out I could still swim, bike and run and was still competitive within my age group, which was 60-64 when I first returned.  Now I'm in the 65-69 age group plotting my strategy for when I roll over to 70 and will be the young, hopefully fast guy.

I took the USAT (the governing body in the USA for triathlons and duathlons) age group 65-69 national championships titles for triathlon in 2011 and duathlon in 2012.  Also set the American course record for the 65-69 age group at the World Championship Ironman in Kona in 2011 (drats, finished second to a Dutchman).  I was rated number 1 in my age group for both Triathlons and Duathlons in 2011, and number 1 for duathlon and 4th for triathlon in 2012 by USAT, who keeps statistics on such things.

I hope to post a picture and story following each race this year.  First race up is the 5K Skirt Chaser which typically draws 2,000 racers.  This will be my first running race since the 1980's as I've only race triathlons and duathlons since then.  It'll be interesting.

1 comment:

  1. Programmed in FORTRAN? Wow! That is an old guy experience!

    ReplyDelete